Amazon is the largest selling platform in the world with over 5 million sellers from all corners of the globe. One of the main links of the platform is the algorithm, the knowledge of which helps entrepreneurs to position products in the search ranking and reach a large group of potential customers.
The algorithm is a dynamic and ever-changing tool, so it is extremely important to keep up to date with all updates if you want to sell successfully on Amazon.
What is the A9 and A10 algorithm?
Amazon’s algorithm determines which products make it to the top of search results, thereby generating more sales. Until now, the algorithm was called Amazon A9, but in 2020 the platform introduced a new, updated version of the algorithm called A10.
The new version works similarly to the A9 version with a few key differences in the areas of conversions, seller authority, PPC sales and impressions.
The A9 algorithm – how was it before?
The algorithm in the previous version comprehensively considered several factors based on which products with high sales potential were displayed.
So far, the key factors were:
- Sales and conversion rate – Amazon is a profit-driven e-commerce platform, so the algorithm is more likely to display products with higher sales potential.
- Customer reviews – customer feedback is an important part of achieving a high ranking on Amazon’s search engine, so it’s worth spending time on aftercare and encouraging customers to share their opinions on products.
- Product promotion – paid advertising on Amazon is a tool to reach a wide audience, generating more visits and increasing the chance of a sale.
- Pricing – pricing strategy is important in terms of generating sales on a platform where customers can compare the price of similar products in seconds. Competitive pricing is always a plus for your customers and often the deciding factor in the buying process.
- Product descriptions and keywords – proper selection of keywords and creating product titles and descriptions based on them is a factor that has a significant impact on product search ranking. Do not forget that keywords are important, but descriptions are created for people, not machines. They should be written in a simple and understandable language, taking into account all the features of the products and dispelling possible doubts of the buyers.
A10 algorithm – changes
One of the biggest changes in the new version of Amazon’s algorithm is the increased importance of seller authority. Here factors such as:
- Sales history.
- Sales seniority on Amazon.
- Customer reviews.
- Number of products in the portfolio.
In order to position yourself higher on Amazon’s search engine, it’s worth taking the time to analyse and improve the factors listed above. If you need help, contact us to develop a customised strategy for selling on Amazon (https://sellerswitch.com/kontakt/)
Conversion rate, impressions, CTR
If you want to sell more on Amazon, you need to pay attention to CTR (click-through rate) which is influenced by high quality images and product descriptions. The higher the CTR, the greater the chance that your product will appear on the first page of a search. Another factor that is related to CTR is the conversion rate, which is the number of people who click on your product and make a purchase. In addition, the A10 algorithm takes into account the number of times your product is viewed, not only directly from the search engine, but also from external links.
Sales generated by paid ads still matter, but Amazon no longer places as much emphasis on PPC ads. The A10 algorithm rewards organic traffic from external sources such as portals, blogs and social media.
Targeting traffic with external links is not only good for the number of product impressions, but is also important in terms of search ranking position. Amazon places an emphasis on external user visits because it’s additional traffic to the platform, which is what Amazon is all about. So, it makes sense to drive traffic to listings from many types of sources.